Tuesday, February 16, 2010

FAITH




'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.' Declares the LORD.

Isaiah 55:8


My eldest son has found reading the Bible a comfort and a life line. He is only 18 years old and is wise beyond his years. He sends me texts every now and then with messages from the Bible, like the one above.

When I first read it I could not understand what it meant. I was having a bad week and I wasn't really in the mood for cryptic puzzles.

That evening, It dawned on me what the verse meant, at least what it meant to me.

We expect a certain outcome or we have certain expectations in life, especially to do with being good or bad.

For example, we expect that if we are a good person, kind, loving, hard working that bad things shouldn't happen to us.

Who ever told us this??

We expect that we should have no problems in life and that if we do then it is God's punishment for something we did, or it is bad luck or a curse or karma.

Who says it is any of the above or anything else anyone has ever said?

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.'

This verse helped me snap out of the little tight box that I had put myself in regarding what was happening to me in my 'bad' week. It dawned on me that whatever we measure happiness or sadness by is not how God measures it.

We are not meant to understand how God works, only trust and have faith. If you would rather replace God with Source or the Divine, then to me it is all the same (Not that my son would agree.)

In summary, by releasing the need to know the 'Why, is this happening to me?' and trusting that there is a higher meaning to this and seeing your 'problem' with God's mind your life will not necessarily be problem less, but you will never feel alone again.

(POST TAKEN FROM MY BLOG)

2 comments:

Beth Chapman said...

I have tried, not always successfully, to replace the 'why? with 'and?". 'Why' sometimes gets me stuck and it doesn't have movement to it. If I ask 'and?' it's like asking what is behind the door for me that I cannot yet see. Thank you for this reminder. Thank you for your openness and well done on having a son wise beyond his years. I don't think it is a coincidence.

CHRISTINA said...

Asking 'and?' seems more receptive I like it! As for my son, he is my angel, we are many miles apart but our souls are connected. We had a very difficult relationship for a while and I forgot what a blessing he is. I let go and Let God and even though I miss him we are closer than ever. :)