Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Introducing Sai

Greetings and Namaste! I was recently invited by Katherine to be a part of your group. Thank you Katherine, and thank you all for having me here. My name is Sai, and I'm currently based in New Delhi, India. As a profession, I work as an Instructional Design Consultant with an American company. However, my interests are varied, which is nice in a way, but it also leaves me very confused about which one I should pursue more than the others! For instance, I love reading and chanting Sanskrit verses from the Vedas and Upanishads. I enjoy singing, that's perhaps my best way to connect with my higher Self. And then, of course, there's writing.

Like many in their late twenties, I'm at that point where my 9 to 5 job (which isn't always 9 to 5, it's more like 9 to whenever) tends to take precedence over all my other interests. But I'm trying to change that. I'm trying to give my art more space in my life. Like I used to, before I started a regular job.

I've always loved writing. I used to write essays, speeches, reports, research papers, magazine articles... all kinds of stuff, in high school and college. But the thing is that I always wrote for a topic that was given to me by someone else. It was only a few years ago that I decided I would start writing for the sake of writing, not for anyone else, but for me. I would write to give form to all of the thoughts, emotions, and insights that are constantly dancing around in my being, that sometimes drive me a little insane with their intensity.

My initial hesitation was fed by a fear that questioned, "what will people think of your thoughts? What if you make a complete fool of yourself?" My first few attempts were hard because I was writing what I thought everyone wanted to read. I was filtering out, judging, and editing so much that when I read what I had written, I couldn't see myself in there at all. So I would write, read, and then delete!

Then, I did something which is kinda hard to do. I let go. On one condition, though. I decided I would start a blog, but I would not share my blog with anyone, just keep it to myself. Having consoled my fear with that condition, I began writing as if no one was going to read. And then, the words began to flow. Once I opened the doors, they pretty much stayed open. I knew I had conquered one of my greatest fears, when I emailed the link to my blog for the first time to my closest friends.

It's amazing, how many things we don't do because of fear. Society itself is fear-based. Right from the time we're little, we're taught to fear. Fear the unknown, fear the consequences, fear God (this is the worst kind of fear ever). This is why I love the Sanskrit chant Aham Brahmasmi, which means I am the Universe. I have access to a reservoir of strength, power, and wisdom. The more I affirm this to myself, the more abundance I experience. And fear starts to melt away, slowly.


Thanks again for inviting me here. I look forward to reading, sharing, and learning with you.

Love and Light,
Sai

8 comments:

Katherine Jenkins said...

Beautiful Sai! I am so happy you are here. I'm surprised you ever feared your writing because what I've read on your blog is so beautiful. It is very pure and I can feel it comes from you. Interesting that you write about fear here because that's my lesson for today on my blog. I also had so much fear when I started opening up and writing for the public. I still do. I love that chat Aham Brahmasmi-how amazing..we do all have access to the strength of the universe. I look forward to your inspiring posts here! Much Peace to you, Kathy

Marcie J said...

Hello Sai - I am new here as well(see me a few posts back)but I will welcome you to this space anyway - I hope you feel at home soon and start to share your writing - I love the chant Aham Brahmasmi - i will incorporate that into my life somehow - we are all the universe - thank-you

Pamela Bousquet said...

Welcome Sai!!! Oh how your words spoke so eloquently to my heart....peace truly flowed from your post. (I'm guessing I'll have MUCH to learn from you!) THANK you for joining me, and us here at Writer's Rising. Peace - Pam

Anonymous said...

Hi Sai,
Nice to meet you I look forward to reading more and getting to know you and everyone here. I'm new too, I'm the next post down from yours!

Aine

Sai Ganesh Nagpal said...

Thank you for your kind messages - Katherine, Marcime, Pamela, and Aine. It's such a warm welcome.:-)
Love, light, and peace to all of you.
Sai

Beth Chapman said...

Courage knows no foolishness. Even if born in timidity its heart is strong, trust its heart beat. Well done and thank you for an inspiring find.

Christa said...

Hello Sai and welcome! I am new here as well and excited to read more from you!

Heather Conroy said...

Hello Sai,

It is nice to see you here and thanks for sharing your writing journey!