Saturday, January 23, 2010

365 Lessons-Lesson 23: Nurture Creativity

My sister sent me this video yesterday. It was kind of what I needed to hear. The author of Eat, Pray, Love talks about nurturing creativity. I find it can sometimes be a hard thing to nurture and protect at times. Our passions can sometimes get squashed when the realization hits that we need to make a living and living our passion is somehow not going to be the way we do that. Life takes over, and sometimes, for me...remembering to nurture my creativity or in this case, my writing, which is my passion, is no easy task. It takes constant effort, but it is worth every step. Here's the inspirational video my sister sent just when I needed it:





Sometimes I feel like all the artists, dancers, and writers out there are known because they must be geniuses. I don't think so now.

(I painted this painting called Clear Fall Day in 2006 after a meditation course. I've never painted anything in my life on canvas before or since. This all goes to show that we all have this creativity inside us. We can do and be anything we want to be)


We all have amazing gifts to share with this world. We are all geniuses. If you are passionate about something. If you have a dream. If you are an artist, a mother, a dancer, a painter, a traveler, a knitter, a sewer, a trumpet player, a doodler, a whistler, a gardener, a whatever and you LOVE doing what you are doing, NURTURE IT! Believe in what you are doing and do it. If you feel happiness from what you are doing in life, that happiness spreads to all those around you. There must be something you do in life that makes you happy. Make that your priority. Protect it at all costs. When we are doing what we love we inspire other people to do what they love and it goes on and on and on like this. All of us have these gifts inside us. I am grateful for everyone I have met here because I see that you all are doing just that!

2 comments:

Heather Conroy said...

I love this TED video it is one of my favourites. I am reading Elizabeth's new novel "Committed" and I am loving it. I like how you point out that your passion inspires others because that's what TED talks are all about-so true! Your painting has a very incandescent quality-the clear positive emotion really shines through.

Katherine Jenkins said...

Thanks so much Heather. I was also very touched by this video. It came at the perfect time for me. I was looking at Committed yesterday at the bookstore. Maybe you could give a review on Writers Rising or let me know how you liked it in comparison to Eat,Pray,Love. Thanks for you kind words about my painting!

Looking forward to a post from you! Peace, Kathy