Friday, January 15, 2010

A Remarkable Life

I'm not sure what it is that makes a life remarkable. Remarkable as in unusual, extraordinary, worthy of notice.

A few years ago I attended the funeral of a good friend's mother. I heard her loving family and good friends describe her ordinary life. There was no drama evident in the telling, but rather the picture of someone supremely happy doing the everyday tasks that get us all through life. I felt envious that my friend's mother did not feel the need to strive for, or live a life beyond the one she had.

I found her ordinary life quite remarkable.

It is also the instances when life departs from the ordinary that are noteworthy.

So the life of someone from another culture is always remarkable, because it is different.

What is even more remarkable is what happens when the broad brushes used to paint a picture of what constitutes an average life are laid down, and a finer brush is taken up to fill in the details.

When we really listen carefully to the details of another's story, layers fall away exposing diverse qualities.

Before Christmas I listened to and then wrote the story of a remarkable life. I am both proud and humbled to contribute a profile article to the inaugral Diversity Writers website which is the excellent and very new website of one of Writers Rising's contributors-Sharon Egan. It has been published here.

My article describes the life of a wonderful lady who I call Viv. Viv's story reveals her passion to be herself no matter the cost.

Perhaps that is what constitutes a remarkable life; simply having enough courage to be YOU.

5 comments:

Lorenza said...

I do believe that the only way to have a fulfilling Life is having the courage to be ourselves. Expressing our potential, whatever it is. Spreading our wings in whatever sky we want to fly. Then, the others, can add adjectives to our LIfe.

Vikis Kitchen said...

I am sure she could have been a great woman. Now I realize, being myself is much more important than anything:) This is what my hubby tells me always . But after reading yours I understand it more:) These lines have given a meaning for my life. Thanks dear.

Eco Yogini said...

yep- that is a fantastic conclusion. it's so hard just to be ourselves, be Endo vs Exo :)

Katherine Jenkins said...

Being ourselves is all we can be. The world will have a variety of opinions of how we live or how we lived, but if we find happiness in our own way...it really doesn't matter. If we find joy in what we are doing, even if it is a very simple, ordinary task, that's all that matters. We are all different and that's what makes this world so amazing. In my opinion, we are all leading remarkable lives...just the fact that we are living is remarkable!

Heather Conroy said...

@Lorenza We need courage for sure to live life on our own terms and I think an ordinary life is in itself remarkable!
@Vicki thanks for your kind words and your husband sounds wonderful!
@ Eco inside versus outside? Agreed!
@ Katherine how fortunate you and all of us are to realise that being ourselves can be a source of happiness.
Thanks for all your comments.